Reflective Practitioner

Reflective Practitioner
This is what I want to be

From Passive to Reflective - this is who I want to be

Saturday, March 7, 2020

My interpretation of a digital technology that can be used in Reflective-Reflexive Practice


Oh what a week! This week has been the most difficult for me as a student and a key player in my organization. It has caused me to reflect first and foremost about my time management skills which were put to the test as I scrambled to get my assignments completed. One thing I am always quick to say to persons is that you must not wait until the last minute but try and do a little bit each day. Being under a tad bit of pressure has made me realize that I need to more consistent in how I manage my time if I am to be successful in my weekly assignments.

Sometimes you have to think about something to fully understand it”, hmmm. This statement resonates with me most as during the week I have had my staff members question me as to why they were required to do a particular task. As I tried to explain to them one thing that struck me was, maybe I should have them all reflect on what happened at the event. The Rolfe model immediately came to mind as I want them to think about the what, the so what and the what next. I want them to be able to explain what happened at the event, how they thought who we catered to felt about it, how they themselves felt about it and finally I want them to be able to come up with ways that can improve what was done. This is me incorporating reflection in my day to day operation.


 I do agree with Reynolds (1998) and his notion that “reflection is not a process but an integral part of what it means to lead and to manage”. The article proves that reflecting is not only to be done individually but it is necessary for all players involved, to see the organization reaching its objectives. In my organization we need to review what we are doing, how we are doing it and put plans in place that it does not happen again, this however cannot be a one-time thing but constant reviewing. Through reflection, whether publicly which must be done as we provide a service or productive reflection, employees must be aware of the challenges and threats which can be addressed to create new ideas. Reflective practice helps to think after something has happened, the moment we think back, we start to ask ourselves many questions which aid us in improving in all that we do. We must rely on past experiences to assist us in modifying the way forward to ensure that the organization is able to reach its goals and objectives. Reflection leads to continuous growth which is needed if an organization is to succeed.

I encourage you to take a look at the below video as it highlights the purpose of Reflective Practice in the organization.


What I must now decipher, is how, through the use of technology can I have them do this reflection. I took a look at the digital storytelling, but to me that caters to an educational background. May be someone can point out to me how it can be used within an organizational setting to warrant the same results. I will also conduct some more research to get a better understanding of its role in reflection and if it can be incorporated into organizational reflection both for me and my staff members.  Recognizing that all staff members may not be technologically saavy, one way that came to mind that maybe we can use to share our reflections would be the use of Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Office 365. This allows for engaging in a forum similar to WhatsApp which carries a chat. I recently had the opportunity to use it, still fumbling, but will definitely interact with it some more. Below is one of the teams that I am currently a member of.


References
Reynolds, M. (1998). Reflection and critical reflection in management learning. Management Learning 29, no. 2: 183 –200


1 comment:

  1. In the course of writing journals or any other forms of generating and recording reflection that our initial views of the situation or event change, and we gain a different perspective of something that happened. The questions below can assist you to be more focused in the reflection process:
    • Have I (critically) questioned my actions, behaviours and speech? What justification do I have?
    • Have I been honest and open with myself?
    • Have I learned anything from the experience?
    • Have I identified the new learning I need to put in practice?
    • What is it exactly that I need to do now?

    ReplyDelete

Summary Post

Schoe (1983) contends that reflective practice uses many methods for one to understand the difficulties of decision-making in the organiza...