Reflective Practitioner

Reflective Practitioner
This is what I want to be

From Passive to Reflective - this is who I want to be

Saturday, February 15, 2020

My Learning Style - The VARK WAY


The purpose of teaching is to facilitate learning and to ensure that the learners learn effectively.  The learning style is considered as the way a person perceives, processes and retains new information.  The VARK model which was developed by Fleming and Mills provides learners with a profile of their learning styles. I used this, to categorize my learning preference which saw to my dominant style being that of Read/Write.

The read/write learning style is a preferred mode of both teachers and students as it promotes a student who has the ability to read and write well. This preference emphasizes text-based with strategies that include the use of: lists; headings; definitions; glossaries; dictionaries; textbooks; readings; notes; teachers who use words well and have lots of information in sentences and notes; essays and manuals.

This learning style which is truly my style of learning can be applied for learning in an online environment. The notes, handouts, readings, manuals, definitions can all be used in addition to extra readings available through the internet.  These can be converted by using these tools to allow the student to write out the words again; rewrite the ideas and principles into other words, turn reactions, actions, diagrams, charts and flows into words.  An example of how this style can be used is by making a video and having the student write a synopsis of the what the video entailed.  The video then teaches and by rewriting in your own words the student has the ability to grasp the topic. With the use of the video it takes the attention from the Read/Write and focuses on the visual learning style which I also tend to think that I am. Is it possible to have two learning styles? I know for sure that I am Read/Write but the more I study I realize that there is a need to reach out to other ways of learning, sometimes mainly videos, to assist in my learning.

In both my undergraduate and post graduate studies I found it necessary to ensure that I had adequate notes on a topic. After which I would put the notes in an essay form. Graphs and points were drawn from the essays, internalized and then rewritten in my own words. In preparing for the exam I would review exam questions and practice them, write lists in how the layout should appear and then rewrite essays with relevant points which are necessary to complete the exam. The results prove to be me, but is this a true reflection of my learning style?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting use of the various hues of green in your color scheme layout with a lot of text...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green is my favorite colour and as such this layout too represents who I am.

    ReplyDelete

Summary Post

Schoe (1983) contends that reflective practice uses many methods for one to understand the difficulties of decision-making in the organiza...